Wednesday 1 May 2024

Return to the 'Dales 30' 

 I've so far climbed 17 of the Dales 30. They are the mountains in the Yorkshire Dales National Park over 2000ft. Today's walk includes two more.

Lovely Seat & Rogan's Seat from Muker in Swaledale 15miles 2600ft 

I parked initially at the top of Buttertubs pass. This is the closest access to Lovely Seat summit, seen here from the pass
Looking back to my car on the pass with Great Shunner fell behind
It's just a short climb of about a mile and 30 minutes to reach the summit cairn at 2215ft, my easiest Dales 30 so far! 
After descending it's a short drive to the pretty village of Muker
Leaving the village behind I set off following the river into Upper Swaledale.....
.....along the riverside path to....
Rampsholme footbridge
Looking up the dale from the bridge
Crossing Swinner Gill, where I left the river to join the Coast to Coast path climbing the gill
It was lovely to see the spring flowers in the now warm sushine on the side of the gill 
Looking back down to upper Swaledale
The path continues climbing past the ruins of  Crackpot Hall
All the way up the gill there is much evidence of previous mining activity.....
....before finally coming out on the summit plateau of Rogan's Seat....
....with it's rather meagre looking summit cairn at 2205ft
The cairn has these Rogan names with initials & dates
Leaving the summit behind I continued down to the waterfall at Botcher Gill Gate which was a very pleasant place to stop for lunch!
....and again
Continuing the descent I soon arrived back in Swaledale at Ivelet bridge....
....for a final couple of miles on the riverside back to....
The Public Hall & St Mary's church in Muker.
A great day's walking in the Dales where I'd not been for a while. I'll be back again soon to have a look at some of the other 'Dales 30' fells I've not climbed yet.


















No comments:

Post a Comment