Wednesday 21 August 2024

 Return to the 'Dales 30'

(Fells over 2000ft in the Yorkshire Dales National Park)

Fountains fell & Darnbrook fell

9miles 1500ft

After parking on the minor road between Ribblesdale and Littondale, I followed the Pennine Way east.... 
....to start the climb up Fountains fell still covered in cloud
Heading north on the Pennine Way I met Mathew who was walking this long distance path. He had spent the night camping out on the fell in some pretty bleak and wild conditions! "Hope you made it to Hawes Matthew as intended." It seemed a very long walk to me!
Gaining height but still in cloud at this point....
....and still misty as I reached the summit plateau with a mine shaft warning, however...
....as I walked across the summit to the highest point the cloud lifted off Pen y Ghent to west...
....and as I reached the summit cairn 2192ft it also cleared to the east
Zooming in on Pen y Ghent
One of the many mine shafts warned about earlier
 After heading north across the boggy summit I arrived at Darnbrook fell summit trig point 2047ft. The peat around the concrete pillar support had completely eroded leaving the pillar well above ground level
Starting the descent to Littondale with Plover fell and Pen y Ghent across the dale....
.....and again
Pen y Ghent House 
The return walk was a just a lovely gentle stroll of 3 or 4 miles along this good bridleway....
Arriving back at the car. 
Once back here I drove the short distance to Malham tarn.... 
....where I had my lunch by the waters edge
Two more of the 'Dales 30' completed. Just numbers  29 & 30  left to climb. They are Yockenthwaite Moor  and Birks fell

No comments:

Post a Comment