Wednesday 21 December 2022

Wythburn (Thirlmere) to Keswick via Bell crags, Watendlath & Derwentwater: 13.5miles 2300ft

After parking by the Portinscale suspension bridge I walked into Keswick and caught the bus to Wythburn by the side of Thirlmere.  I then climbed  beside Dob Gill on the old bridleway leading to Watendlath. Here I'm looking west across Thirlmere towards the Helvellyn range 
Dobgill flows out of Harrop tarn and I had to cross the outflow by means of these very wet and slippery stones. After taking great care, a short prayer and some time to cross safely I turned to look down stream and.....
.....spotted this bridge hiding  just a few yards away!!! 
Above the tarn and plantation I was high enough to catch a little sunshine over Tarn crags
A short deviation but not without considerable effort in climbing off the bridleway, I arrived at the summit of Bell crags 559m 1834ft.
The view back down to Harrop tarn and Thirlmere
Back on the bridleway I passed Blea tarn still partly frozen despite the overnight rise in temperature
Looking back to Bell crags from Blea tarn
Descending to Watendlath with Bassenthwaite on the horizon
Watendlath tarn and farm....
.....and again
Leaving the tarn behind I crossed the packhorse bridge and followed Watendlath beck to......                   
High Lodore bridge arriving at a nice time for lunch
 
Derwentwater from the path down to the lakeside

 

Crossing the river Derwent flowing into the lake with Skiddaw on the horizon....

.....and following the lakeside path  on the west side of the Derwentwater
 
Nichol End marina with Skiddaw Little Man on the horizon

Finally back at the suspension bridge where the car was parked on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment