Thursday 16 June 2022

A walk to World's End and back home 

in time for tea!

Castell Dinas (Llangollen) to World's End and return to Llangollen via the Offa's Dyke Path. 13.5miles   2550ft

Deserted streets in Llangollen town centre
 as I make an early start for Castell Dinas

     
The river Dee flows through the centre of the town


Castell Dinas is now a ruin of a medieval castle which commands a strategic view point over the valley 


Although only 1050ft high it affords a great view of Llangollen 


I walked round the perimeter of the summit before continuing my walk to World's End


Looking back to Castell Dinas with Llangollen behind 


I  climbed up through the Trevor Rocks.....

....followed by a very gentle climb up Eglwyseg Mountain which according to my map would take me to.....


.....World's End, but what would I find at the 'End of the World',  I wondered?


The answer was clearly not much! 
I decided to at least mark the place with my trusty stick


However it seems that these crags which form part of a wooded gorge that I had just descended through may also be World's End


A little further on it became clear that I was indeed at World's End


I then joined the Offa's Dyke Path which would take me back to Llangollen


It was a wonderful stretch of path which continued for about 2 miles at this height along the escarpment


  Eventually the path descended to the valley floor
 

It was then just a short walk to join the Llangollen canal for the last mile back into the town


 This was a very gentle stroll with much of interest after a somewhat disappointing World's End!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment