Wednesday 3 July 2024

A Head in the Clouds Day

Latrigg (Keswick) to Mirehouse (Bassenthwaite) via Back 'o' Skiddaw, Sale How, Skiddaw, Carl Side,

& Dodd Wood 11.5miles 2650ft 

Setting off from Latrigg car park
Forsaking the popular 'tourist path' seen here zig zagging up the left fellside towards the clouds I crossed Whit beck to the right....
....with a view back to Derwentwater....
....and looking back again to Helvellyn in cloud....
....as I walk to Skiddaw House hostel at the 'Back 'o' Skiddaw
The hostel is the highest in Britain at 1550ft...
....looking back as I gained height with the conical  Great Calva in the northern fells to the left.
....also the pointed Lonscale fell, with Blencathra covered in cloud to the left
After crossing Sale How summit 2185ft I joined the main 'tourist path' to.....
....the popular summit of Skiddaw 3054ft unfortunately without further views until I'd descended over Carl Side....
....and dropped below the cloud for lunch looking to Keswick and Derwentwater
Zooming in on Derwentwater....
....and Braithwaite
I then continued towards Dodd fell with Bassenthwaite behind....
and descended through Dodd Wood....
....to St Bega's church on the side of Bassenthwaite
....looking south down Bassenthwaite with the last of my coffee and biscuits....
....before following the footpath through the grounds,  gardens and....  
....bee hives of the Mirehouse estate....
....to finally reach the car park for my lift back to Latrigg
A great day's walking, just a shame about the low cloud. However given this week's weather forecast I was more than happy to have at least stayed dry!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment