Thursday 25 January 2024

Another rainy  day with gale force winds forecast for the high fells so I decided to stay closer to home today.

Leighton Moss RSPB reserve, Humphrey Head & Hampsfell (Grange over Sands)

12.5miles 1600ft

On my way to Leighton Moss I passed St John's church Yealand silhouetted with the rising sun
Starting a short walk through the RSPB reserve...
....but there wasn't much activity apart from a few coots, moorhens, swans & and mallard ducks....
....so I drove on and parked by the promenade and railway between Grange & Kents Bank. After crossing the railway I was heading west to Humphrey Head in the distance
Looking back to a misty Grange-over-Sands but now perhaps Grange-over-Grass is more appropriate!
A brief murmeration of some birds which I couldn't identify....
....before I arrived at the tip of Humphrey Head
....and again....
....and again
I then headed back inland over the top of Humphrey Head....
....passing the 172ft Summit (if that's worth calling a summit! and the lowest of Wainwright's outlying fells of the Lake District)
Leaving Humphrey Head I walked through Allithwaite village and and began the easy climb up Hampsfell
Arriving at the Hospice shelter with its.... 
....360 degree viewfinder. However there was little to view owing to the very misty conditions....
I could just about make out Arnside Knott over the river Kent estuary and nothing of the lakeland fells in the opposite direction to the north
Storms Isha & Jocelyn had taken their toll on the area with power still out in parts of Allithwaite that I'd passed through....poles were being replaced in the still windy conditions....
....and power lines reconnected
Finally I walked down through Grange and back along the promenade to my car.
Some sunshine and better air clarity would have made this an excellent walk. I've read that the 360 degree view from Humphrey Head which reaches about a mile into Morecambe bay is particularly rewarding. I'll certainly be visiting again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment