Wednesday 24 May 2023

The Gable Girdle  from Seathwaite Borrowdale

Taking in Base Brown & Green Gable 8miles 2650ft

Leaving the car parked at Seathwaite farm I began the climb to the crags on Base Brown (top left)
The path climbs steeply up beside Sour Milk gill falls
Where the  path levels out a little I opted for a route that would take me past....
....the 'Hanging Stone' balanced precariously on the crag
Looking back down Borrowdale from the top of the crag
Cloud was still lingering on Glaramara as I followed the ridge over Base Brown summit to Green Gable
Green Gable summit cairn as I looked back along the ridge to Base Brown
After leaving the summit I intended dropping to Windy Gap to start the walk round the 'Girdle' of Great Gable. This first section is known as the North Traverse
The start of this path is just visible as the narrow line rising slightly to the right from Windy Gap 
The path then continues hugging the base of the crags above the screes
Looking down the length of Ennerdale as I set out do the high level circuit of the mountain
Looking back to Green Gable
The North Traverse finishes here at Beck Head with a view to Kirk fell
After a stop to take on water with a view to Wasdale & Wastwater, I shed a layer of clothing and continued on to the South Traverse heading for Sty Head tarn 
This scree slope known as 'Little Hell's Gate' leads up to the summit, but not today 
Great Gable attracts many rock climbers heading for Great Napes crags such as Napes Needle and the Sphinx rock towers
This I think is the Sphinx which becomes aptly named when seen in profile from higher up - but not for me!
Next point of interest is Great Hell's Gate....
....before passing underneath Kern Knotts....
....before arriving at Sty Head's mountain rescue stretcher box!..... 
....and Sty Head tarn for a very welcome lunch break.
My Gable circuit finished here only missing out the short climb up Aaron Slack. This meant that I could return to Seathwaite down.... 
....Sty Head gill....
Finally crossing Stockley bridge just a short walk from the car
Today I finally got round to completing a walk I'd been contemplating and looking forward to for some time.
It was most certainly well worth the wait!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment