Wednesday 10 August 2022

In Search of Water!

With a visa for Yorkshire on my passport I drove over the M62 and parked up next to Baitings reservoir. My route was to take me round the reservoir, climb Rishworth moor  to Blackstone Edge and descend via Green Withins reservoir and Ryburn reservoir. 13miles 1450ft 


After parking up I walked onto a modern bridge crossing the reservoir giving this view down to the original crossing long since covered by water until very dry conditions such as this summer's heat wave. 

 Looking back at the view of both bridges



Zooming in on the bridges from the dam at the far end of the reservoir  

Nearing the top of Rishworth moor I joined the old packhorse road crossing Blackstone Edge from Yorkshire to Lancashire

This carved plaque explained the purpose of .....

.....the carved stone on the ridge


After following the Pennine Way a short distance along Blackstone Edge I arrived at the summit trig point 1549ft


Looking down on Manchester with a heat haze or maybe air pollution over the city skyline

 


Looking north over the Pennine moors with Stoodley pike monument visible above Blackstone Edge reservoir

 

 

There was also a good view down to Hollingworth lake and Rochdale 


The Pennine way continues over Blackstone Edge and  then crosses the M62 by this rather attractive footbridge .....

.....ditto 

My route then took me past Green Withins reservoir.... 

.....and then climbed Dog Hill 1427ft

From the summit I could see Rishworth below and Ripponden in the distance

Finally my last reservoir of the walk was Ryburn reservoir also looking very dry, from where it was just a short walk to the car


No comments:

Post a Comment