Tuesday 1 February 2022

Into the Dales .........

Into the Dales for a change of scenery! A circular walk from Airton Bridge on the upper River Aire taking in Weets Top, Goredale Scar, Malham Tarn & Malham Cove - 14miles ....2150ft


Leaving the village at first light, I caught the sunrise 
from Calton Moor.

Half an hour later looking back down the moor

First stop at the trig point on Weets Top 1358ft 

Descending to Goredale Scar with typical Dales scenery and Fountains Fell on the horizon


Walking up the good path towards the scar

The scar gradually becomes narrower.... 

.... before the path ends abruptly at the water falls

I then followed a path up the east side of Malham Cove passing the top whilst heading for Malham tarn.... 


....Looking down into the cove as I went past

A couple of miles further took me to Malham Tarn for a second stop

Zooming in on the boat house across the water 

Following the Pennine Way, I returned to Malham Cove arriving at the limestone pavement above the cove.... 


 ....before descending to take a closer look from below

My rather late stopping place for lunch in Malham village  

I then followed the river Aire back to Airton Bridge passing through

Hanlith on the way


A grand day in the Dales on a somewhat breezy day but with much interest and

lovely sunshine.

I'll be back again soon!!



No comments:

Post a Comment