Tuesday 10 September 2024

Lake & Tarn Bagging!!

No summits today, the walk this week  visits 6 lakes or tarns

13miles 2500ft

Starting from Ambleside I walked down to Windermere lake shore at Waterhead....
....and continued along the shore towards Borran's Park....
.....before starting the climb up Loughrigg fell with a view down to Holy Trinity church Brathay
Cloud was rapidly rising off the summits but these were not for me today
About halfway up Loughrigg fell is Lily tarn, a little too late in summer to see the beautiful blooming lilies, but the eastern early morning sky was very nice
Taking a circuit of the little tarn....
....before climbing a little higher for a view to Crinkle Crags
My route then took me down towards Skelwith Bridge to pass round....
Loughrigg tarn from where....
....there is a great view of the Langdale fells 
Another short climb took me to the eastern side of Loughrigg fell....
....with views to more summits still in cloud but of no consequence for me today....!
 
....as I descended to the shore of Rydal Water my 4th of the day 
Looking across the lake to Rydal Cottage
I then followed the river Rothay upstream to.... 


Grasmere with the village at the northern end
The shoreline here seemed an excellent place to stop for  lunch....
....watching the ducks
Leaving Grasmere behind I crossed the main road to Keswick passing the very nice Swan hotel....
....to climb up Greenhead Gill....
....looking down on Grasmere before..... 
arriving at Alcock tarn, my 6th and last tarn or lake of the day
 ....with a view down to Windermere my 1st of the day
 On my final descent I paused by a little pond and got my insect photo of the week.... this Water boatman
I expected damp & rainy start to the day but was delighted with as good a day as I've had all summer. This was also a delightful walk requiring rather less effort than a walk over the high fells!























No comments:

Post a Comment