Tuesday 19 March 2024

Langdale Pikes 

A circuit including Dungeon Ghyll, 

Loft Crag, Pike 'o' Stickle 

Thunacar Knott & Stickle Ghyll

7miles 2600ft 

Parking up on the roadside in the Langdale valley a damp morning with cloud still on the summits
My route took me through the grounds of the New Dungeon Ghyll hotel....
....from where I took the 'Mark Gate' path parallel with Dungeon Ghyll
I took a short diversion to view the lower section of Dungeon Ghyll force
After further climbing the upper force comes into view together with the rest of the ghyll and Thorn Crag....
....looking south from the same place Side Pike and Little Langdale tarn were just appearing out of the cloud....
....as it rolled up out of the Langdale valley
By the time I arrived here at the summit of Loft Crag 2238ft the route ahead to Pike 'o' Stickle was clear
Looking down into Mickleden as I traversed along the edge 
Behind me a group had just arrived on Loft Crag
More views into Mickleden as I climbed....
here to the summit of Pike 'o Stickle 2326ft, from where there was a fine view back to Loft Crag and Harrison Stickle
Crinkle Crags and Bowfell should have been seen just across the valley, but not today unfortunately....
....however looking north my path to Thunacar Knott was very clear
Thunacar Knott summit was my highest point of the day at 2372ft from where I could see the distant Skiddaw
My descent route via the North Rake of Pavey Ark took me to the exit of Easy Gully, where I stopped for lunch looking down the gully to Stickle tarn
Well fed and rested I arrived at side of the tarn
Pavey Ark always looks impressive above the tarn. 
The little notch in ridge on the far right was where I sat for lunch
My descent continued down Stickle Ghyll...
....with a final look back as I arrived at the 
New Dungeon Ghyll hotel down the lane from the car
The Langdale Pikes never fail to provide an exhilerating day's walking, most enjoyable!



No comments:

Post a Comment