Wednesday 26 October 2022

Black Combe & the Furness  Coast: 9.5miles 2300ft

My walk this week started from Green Road railway station near Millom on the Furness peninsular just as the sun appeared

Standing on the station platform looking east to

 the Dunnerdale fells

After a short ride along the coast I alighted at Silecroft

 village, seen here, as I start to climb Black Combe

That isn’t Black Combe but those are certainly black clouds, with sun behind, heading in my direction

Looking up to Townend Knotts on my path to Black Combe

Is this what is meant by a sun burst?

High tide on the Cumbrian coast from Townend Knotts 

Here come those black clouds again!

Silecoft  village and Haverigg Point

Those clouds again

The clouds did come and after some rain left Black Combe in cloud as I headed up into it. 

One last view to the west coast before crossing the summit of Black Combe…..  

…..and emerging from the cloud above Stoupdale Crags looking east to the Duddon estuary

….. and Walney Island off Barrow in Furness

Zooming in on the Duddon railway viaduct

The view ahead to the estuary as I headed down  

Looking back where I’d come from

White Combe fell on the east side of Black Combe

Autumn colour on Watery Crag

Whirlpippin house across the valley

Finally a panorama view of where I’d descended as I followed the path back to Green Road station


No comments:

Post a Comment