Thursday 3 October 2024

 Return to the 'Dales 30'

my 29th of  the 30 fells in the Dales National Park over 2000ft.

Birks fell Upper Wharfedale, from Starbotton 10.5 miles 1900ft

After parking in the village of Starbotton I crossed the river Wharfe to start the climb up Birks fell
Looking down the dale from the climb
The village of Starbotton nestling in the dale
Some ominous clouds as I reached the summit plateau
The wind was close to gale force across the summit but this ruined shepherd's hut provided shelter for my first break
Some signs that it was brightening up a little....
....Then a break in the clouds produced this great cloudscape
The sunshine continued as I reached the trig point at 1991ft however this is not the summit
A further mile across the summit plateau leads to....
....this cairn, which at 2001ft puts it just in the Dales 30 category
Nearby is Birks tarn which lies next to the path leading off the fell to.....
Buckden village 
The village is next to the river Wharfe where I sat here to have my lunch
I then followed The 'Dales Way' long distance path from Ilkely to Bowness which passes through the dale.... 
.....for 2 or 3 miles back to the bridge leading to my car at Starbotton.
A welcome change to drive east today instead of the usual M6 heading north. It wasn't a perfect summer's day by any means but it was a great walk and it stayed dry producing some great cloud effects.
Just one more 'Dales 30' to go, ie  Yockenthwaite Moor. It's reknowned for being the boggiest fell in the Dales!!! 
I think to leave it for a cold winters day when all is frozen would be a good idea!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment