FLINTSHIRE
North Wales, countryside, town & Coast
9.5miles 800ft
After a very early start I stopped briefly just off the A55 north wales coast road for a photo looking over the river Dee estuary to the Wirral peninsular....
....and then continued to the hamlet of Halkyn to make the short climb up Halkyn mountain.....
....passing the quarry....
....with views to the Clwydian range of mountains....
....before arriving at the trig point 951ft
Leaving Halkyn I continued to the town of Holywell to visit St Winefride's well, a popular shrine and place of pilgrimage
The well bubbles up from the ground in this chapel and....
....and flows into the pool where pilgrims bathe in the healing waters
Part of the gounds where pilgims go in procession
Candles are lit to St Winefride & other saints
Leaving the shrine I continued walking down the Greenfield valley....
.....past several disused mill ponds now developed into attractive lakes....
....and again....
....and again
After the lakes the path continues to the ruins of Basingwerk 11th century abbey....
....and again
.....where the passenger ship TSS Duke of Lancaster has been left to rot! It was operated by British Rail until 1979 between Holyhead and Dunlaoghaire....
One of its survival capsules is nearby
I continued up the estuary following the coast path....
....with views across to the Wirral peninsula....
.....until I arrived at Flint castle....
....which is open to the public....
.....and again
No comments:
Post a Comment