Tuesday, 11 August 2026

A Northern fells circuit

Mungrisdale village, The Tongue, Bowscale fell, Bannerdale crags, Blencathra & Souther fell.

9.5miles 3100ft

Setting off from St Kentigern's church Mungrisdale
Looking up the Glenderamackin valley with a first view of Blencathra in the distance
Mungrisdale village from the steep climb up 
The Tongue
Bowscale tarn from The Tongue....
....Bowscale summit shelter with the northern most fells behind
Zooming in on Atkinson pike & Blencathra as the early cloud rises of the summit....
....with Bannerdale crags to the south....
....and Skiddaw to the west
Continuing on the path to Bannerdale crags....
....and on to Atkinson pike....
.....pausing briefly on Foule crag for a view down the Glenderamackin valley
The infamous Sharp Edge from where it emerges onto the Blencathra ridge below Atkinson pike....
....and again with Scales tarn....
.....and again zooming in along the ridge
A final look at it as I continued to.... 
....the summit of Blencathra, today's highest point 2848ft looking down to Threlkeld village
Zooming in on the northern end of Thirlmere....
....and Derwentwater
I then descended to Scales tarn.... 
....for my lunch....
After lunch I crossed Mousethwaite Combe onto Souther fell and looking back had this view of why Blencathra is also known as Saddleback!
I continued over Souther fell.....
....before starting the descent to....
....Mungrisdale village....
....passing the Mill Inn on the way to where I started.... 
....parked by St Kentigern's church
I started walking today at 7am and was able to enjoy this fabulous day's walking in the lovely summer's sunshine before the heat wave made climbing uncomfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment