A Blackstone Edge circuit from Hollingworth Lake South Pennines 10.5miles 1500ft
After parking at the visitor centre I took a short walk along the lakeside with the M62 to the south....
....before heading east with Blackstone Edge on the horizon
The early morning mist was lingering in the valley....
....just before the sun came up
Looking north to the wind farm on Shore Moor, actually looking quite attractive through the cloud!
....and again
Looking down the Roman road to Littleborough....
....the road passes the Aiggin Stone.....
....with its explanation
Now on Blackstone edge looking down to Hollingworth lake where I was parked....
....and further along the edge is the summit trig point at 421ft
Chatburn reservoir in the Calder valley
Calderbrook
The Pennine Way follows Blackstone Edge and has been greatly improved with this flagging across the bogs....!
....as far as M62 motorway at Junction 22 at its summit....
....and again
The Pennine Way has its very own stylish footbridge...
....and again
Looking west downhill with lorries struggling to the summit
Looking back as I started the descent towards Hollingworth....
....and again....
....with the heather in full bloom
Back on the side of the lake somewhat shrunk after our long dry spell
Finally back at the very modern visitor centre where I was parked.
I had intended going to South Tynedale in the North Pennines, but after a delay setting off this walk was the result! No regrets however as this was a certainly a Grand Day Out
My thanks to anyone who has sponsored Mark as he sets off next week to walk the Camino de Santiago to raise funds for our Charity the Rwanda Group Trust.
He can still be sponsored at:
No comments:
Post a Comment